Jun 7, 2009

Update: "Wedding Invitations" could be a horror movie title

LINCOLN, NEBRASKA—Lisa wrote a great piece Friday about our need to finally pick ourselves up by our bootstraps and create our wedding invitations. Being that we finally had all the materials needed to produce these highly-sought-after pieces of paper, and furthermore, the text to put onto the invitations, we decided to get these things done tonight, even if it killed us.

3 A.M. almost killed us.

Seriously, as Lisa and I put the finishing touches on the invitations in the wee hours of the morning, we decided that, under no circumstances, would we ever print out our own wedding invitations again. This, I felt, was a very good way to secure our relationship firmly for at least a few weeks (when our fingers would finally heal from the inordinate amount of paper cuts we acquired over the 6-hour "adventure").

The next morning, we were excited to actually make our first formal invitation to our wedding. My parents were in town to visit my sister (working at Broken Arrow Ranch this summer but in Lincoln for the day), so Lisa and I happily searched through the entire stack of envelopes to give my parents theirs. We brought the piece of paper into church and happily handed it over to my folks. My mom seemed excited to see our finished product, so she ripped open the envelope and said the words that immediately sunk my soul:

"Did you change the date? I thought you were getting married on the twelfth."

And there you have it: 120 envelopes, all with the wrong date on them.

Going into What-do-we-do mode, I suggested that we simply buy some blanks business cards and print out an "Oops! We made a mistake!" memo for each envelope. This way, I figured, we wouldn't have to go back and reprint 120 invitations. However, after 7 ounces of tears (and a line of invective that probably wasn't the most appropriate for church), we decided the only real option we had was to reprint the entire batch.

Further complicating this reprinting process was that, in the process of buying the materials for these invitations, we had actually exhausted the supply held at Lincoln Office Depots. Not actually our fingers, but close.Therefore, to fix this one-word mistake, we'd have to drive an hour away to Omaha, buy 3 packets of filler paper, drive an hour back to Lincoln, undo each invitation's brad from its holder, and replace it with a corrected sheet. Yippee!

After making the trip to Omaha (which was a bit more exciting because puppy-doodle-doo rode along in the back seat), we decided to wait until Sunday to work on these evil things. We fully-edited the entire document, making sure that there weren't any other errors, and resent the file to the printer. The fixing process only took us about 3 hours, just long enough for us to watch Liam Neesen fight off Albanians in Taken. I guess practice makes perfect. *sigh*

3 comments:

kessia reyne said...

*GASP!*

Fully functioning indeed... Now if only I could remember all those witty things I was going to say... Dangit.

In other news, I now appreciate the wedding invitation that much more, seeing as how it has drawn literal blood from your veins. Invitations are just one reason why being married is better than being engaged. You don't have to send out fancy, brad-laden, flesh-wounding announcements that you're married; it's just sort of a given at that point.

C. Wallows said...

My invitation still says the 10th, soooo I think I deserve another one. Or else I will show up on the 10th. Walk down the aisle by my lonesome and then leave.

C. Wallows said...

p.s. I'm kidding buddy, but seriously file this under reason number 304,349,023,168,023,789,900 not to get married. BOOM-

No wait I take that back. Instead I choose.

I HAVE SPOKEN

Post a Comment