Feb 18, 2010

What did you say?

It's easy enough to assume that for any native-English-speaker living in a country whose first language is NOT English, things could get a little... well... interesting. Looking back through some of the pictures we've taken since coming to Taiwan made me realize how many pictures we have taken of these mis-communications and mis-translations. Thought I would share some of my favorites:


When Chris and I first came to Taipei Adventist Preparatory Academy, they made us name tags... I was offended that they thought Chris was single.










I thought that 50Nt ($1.50 USD) was a fair price for a ride on this camel, I just didn't have time to travel to Kenya to buy the tickets.









Nothing like my favorite name brand clothes: Abcruioedie & Ficsf.









Just so you know, when you come visit us in Taiwan- DON'T DRESS SLOVENLY!











And leave those hot pants at home.










Guess what thees buildings looked like! j/k











Of course the food is different, but sometimes the appeal is lost in translation as well.

(We saw a cat kill their cousin! ha ha)






You know that mental picture you just got? Yeah, the real 'boiled pig large intestine head' looks worse than that...









I can HONESTLY say... I have NO idea what they are talking about. Peaceful like harsh steamed beef soup plank? Peaceful-like fries the chicken river? Sounds like a Johnny Depp movie.














And last, but not least.... What it all boils down to is: Everyone keeps their treasure somewhere.











Hope you enjoyed the misadventures of the English language!! We'll keep collecting and post more later!

4 comments:

HuskEric said...

you need to submit some of these to Engrish.com

I'm sure they would love them

Lisa said...

Just did it! Thanks for the suggestion! :) Heard you are going to Korea soon... Aren't you excited to start collecting your own???

HuskEric said...

Very excited! May just have to fly down to see yall! Just have to find a good camera first so I can many take great picture of Great and Wonderfulness Korea!

Anonymous said...

Old timer Joanne says: but there is such a thing as hot pants . . . daisy dukes in slinky fabric worn under a slit-too-high dress . . . circa 1973 . . .

Post a Comment