Jun 18, 2009

Battery acid doesn't taste very good, does it Dalia?


LINCOLN, NEBRASKA—Dalia added another item to the long and growing list of inedible things that she has ingested. This one wasn't as soft as the down comforter, towels, bath mats, or the couch pillows, and it may not have been as clean as the shampoo and soap bottles, or as expensive as Chris's laptop "Z" key, but it was definitely just as memorable! Dalia, being the all-too-intelligent creature that she is, intentionally demands attention when she wants or needs something. From bringing me her dish when she is hungry or thirsty to flicking my hand with her intrusive little nose when she wants to be petted, Dalia has figured out how to get what she wants. Most recently, Dalia has been honing her persistence in getting attention by bringing me one, two, and three objects that she knows that are "off-limits" so that I am forced into action in meeting her demands. A typical morning transaction occurs something like this. Dalia brings me her dish. She waits patiently for a generous 5 seconds. She begins pacing. And whining. Then pushing her snout into my lap. The frustration builds and "positively" seeking my attention hasn't cut it so she goes for the "naughty" items. Dalia grabs a shoe and prances through the living room. She drops this at my feet and goes for the next item, usually trash that she can shred or anything else mouth sized.

This morning, unbeknownst to me, as a part of her traditional "feed me" dance, Dalia grabbed a D battery. And bit clean through it. Although distracted, I caught on that something was wrong after the hacking/choking sound that ensued. After prying her mouth open to find nothing visible, it took me a few minutes to find the leaking battery in the corner of the living room in order to figure out what happened. She had gotted battery acid all over her tongue and in her throat. One $100.00 + emergency veterinary visit and three expensive medications later, Dalia is now on a plush diet of blended canned dog food three times a day. Poor dog is miserable. I would like to think this will cure her from her desire to eat random objects, but if so... I am sure only until she regains her "taste for rebellion." (ha ha, get it... she singed her tastebuds with the battery acid... )

0 comments:

Post a Comment